Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Nanankatayi

This is probably my last post from Qatar, so I wanted it to be really special. I had planned to write about something that I had prepared with my friends, but unfortunately, I haven't yet uploaded those pics on my PC and my USB Cable is already packed. Anyway, this recipe is also very special, since I prepared it with Soufanammai.
Once I was just going through Shilpa akka's blog when Soufanammai came and she noticed the word nanankatayi on the side bar. She asked me to open the page and we saw that it was extremely easy to prepare. So we prepared it that day itself :) It came out really good. I am still wondering how does nanankatayi always have this slightly salty taste even though no salt is added- neither directly, nor through the butter. 
I had a little difficulty in deciding as to when they were done. I almost burnt the first batch. I learnt that it is done when it is still soft, the top is slightly powder-ey and the bottom has slighly browned. Without further ado, I'd like to present you the super-easy nanankatayi recipe.



Ingredients:
Maida/all purpose flour 2 cups
Powdered sugar 1 cup
Vanaspati/ghee 1 cup
Baking soda 1 tsp
Cardamom powder(optional) 1/4 tsp
Method:
Heat vanaspati/ghee till it melts and add it to flour. Mix all other ingredients to form a soft dough. Leave the mixture for 4-5 hrs.

Make small rounds with the mixture. Keep the balls on a greased oven proof dish. Bake in preheated oven at 300F for around 30-40 mins (till the nankatayis get a few cracks on the top).

No comments:

Post a Comment