Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Microwave chocolate cake

The first time I read about these cakes (about 1 year back) I was like "WOW! No more waiting for half an hour for your cake. Now I can have a hot steaming cake in 5 minutes, and that too all to myself." So I quickly went into the kitchen and whipped up all the ingredients in my mug and mirowaved it. You know what came out? A long cake with a texture close to rubber and taste- well the lesser said the better. What made me even more angry was Nada's *I told you not to try it. Now I will not eat it for you* look. About a week later, I saw another recipe of the cake. I felt it would come out good this time as it was from a blog I followed regularly and the people who had commented also said it was good. So I rushed to the kitchen and began preparing them. Alas! Yet again, I had to finish the whole cake myself. You would think that I had learnt my lesson by now. But no...when I recieved another recipe of a 5 minute cake in my inbox, I was just as much excited to try it out, as much I was the first time I had seen it. But I never got an opportunity to try it. I was always busy with one or the other work, until recently, when one evening, all the ladies had gone shopping, Noora and Naila were with the usthaad and I and Nada were babysitting Maahi. Nada, in her helpless tone, asked me to prepare something. When I announced that I would prepare these cakes, she was like "Please...no..anything but 5 minute cake". But I did not heed to her and prepared it anyway. And you know what, this time it was perfect. It was perfectly sweetened and the smell of uncooked flour was also not there. And I was glad the recipe yields 2 mugs of cake, as 1 wouldn't be enough.

Ingredients:
  • 4 tbsp all purpose flour
  • 5 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tbsp cocoa
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp coffee powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tbsp milk
  • 3 tbsp oil
  • 1/4 tsp vamilla essence

Method:

  • Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
  • Add oil, milk, vanilla and egg. Mix well.
  • Pour into 2 microowave safe mugs. It might cover only 1/3 of the mug, but don't worry, its going to rise.
  • Microwave the mugs on medium for 1 minute. It will rise.
  • Leave it for 10 seconds and then microwave for 30 secondson medium.
  • Make sure not to overcook. The center mght look a little undercooked, but that's fine.
  • Invert the mug onto a plate, or simply dig into your mug with a spoon.




No comments:

Post a Comment