Sunday, March 27, 2011

Chocolate chip cookies

I don't get a lot of spare time to spend in the kitchen. Even during holidays, something or the other would come up to keep me busy and at the most, I would be able to prepare like 4 dishes in a week. So I always dreamt of having my own kitchen, which I would manage myself, from morning to night. And I think my dream has come true, or at least partially true. Since it's only me, Nada, my uncle, Shaheenka, his wife, Soufanammai and their one year old son, Ahmed in the house, I and Soufanammai are manging the house. I should say she is the one who does most of the cooking since a lazy girl like me can never take complete responsibility of anything. :D


The past one week, my oven has been giving me some problems. It successfully burnt 2 of my cakes and a batch of butter cookies. I was so angry, I decided I wouldn't bake until we got a new oven. But well, here I am, blogging about my latest bake. Well, looks like no one can stop a baker from baking, not even the baker himself. ;)

The day before yesterday I saw a new post of chocolate chip cookies on Ria's blog. Now I am a person who chooses my recipes by going through the recipe and checking the levels of difficulty and success. But when I saw Ria's photos I knew I had to prepare the cookies, no matter what.

I am not a big fan of chocolate chip cookies. I hate the crispy store-bought CC cookies. But I love homemade ones, 'coz they are usually chewy. Probably that is why I fell for Ria's cookies so easily. I prepared them the day she posted her cookies itself. The result was wonderful. As Ria had mentioned, the sides of the cookie is crispy while the center is soft and chewy. Couldn't ask for anything more. Definitely a keeper recipe.



CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
 Source: Ria, who adapted it from Alice from Sweet Savoury Life
(I halved the recipe and got 18 medium sized cookies)

Ingredients:
1 c unsalted butter
1/2 c sugar
1 1/2 c brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 3/4 c (12 oz) all purpose flour. Please weigh if possible.
1/2 tsp table salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 1/4 c semi-sweet chocolate chips

Method:
Pre-heat the oven to 360 F and line 2 cookie sheets.

Cream the butter and sugar on medium high (for Kitchen Aid) or high (for hand held mixer) for 3 mins.
Add both the eggs and vanilla and beat for another 2 mins.
Add the dry ingredients and beat well to incorporate.
Add the chocolate chips and mix till well distributed.
The cookie batter should be somewhat thick, that is, you can shape it with you fingers easily.
Drop about 2 tbsp of cookie dough on a parchment lined cookie sheet with 1.5" gap between each .
Bake for 12-14 mins until the edges are nice and golden brown. Remove from the oven and let the cookies be on the sheet for 2 mins. After that transfer them to a cooling rack to cool.
Once cooled, store in an airtight container.


No comments:

Post a Comment