Friday, March 18, 2011

Amel's salad no. 4259


It's been about a week since I prepared this salad. A very busy week. I reached Qatar on Sunday. Soon after I reached, I opened my Facebook account, and that was when my uncle saw the photo of a salad my dad's cousin's wife, Amel had prepared. "The best salad ever had", her husband had commented. My uncle seemed to instantly fall in love with the salad, or the pic at least. And so, I decided to experiment a little to prove the theory: The way to a man's heart is through his stomach.

I got the recipe from Amel and my aunt prepared it for her hubby. I and my uncle were fasting that day, so we had it for Iftaar(time for breaking fast), alongside an oats and vegetable soup. But I had so much of the salad, there was no room for soup in my tummy.

Salad is something anybody can prepare. Chop some veggies. Pour a decent amount of dressing and ta-daa! So what's the big deal about it? Well, the deal is to create the correct combination, and that's exactly what Amel did, and we followed. The peppers give a wonderful flavor as well as color and the fried bread gives a nice crunch. A must-try recipe! Thanks Amel. Though I have jotted down the proportions according to how I made it, Amel mentions that the salad is very forgiving and the proportion of the ingredients can be changed according to your taste and your pantry.

Ingredients:
1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
1/2 yellow bell pepper, finely diced
1/2 green bell pepper, finely diced
1 cucumber, finely diced
7-10 olives, sliced(I used green, black ones can also be used)
4 baby carrots, sliced (I used baby carrots and not the normal ones since that is what I had in hand)
2 baby corn, sliced
2 lettuce leaves, torn
5 tbsp Italian dressing, or to taste
2 pita bread pockets(khubz/kubbous)

Method:
Cut the pita bread into square shaped pieces. Bake them in an oven for 5-10 minutes or till crisp. Alternatively, you can toast them on a frying pan, without oil, till they are crisp. Toss the veggies with the dressing in a bowl.  Add the bread just before serving.


1 comment: