I don't remember how I came across Pioneer Woman. But ever since, my life hasn't been the same. She is one of the best food bloggers in the world. Perfect recipes, perfect photos, great writing skills, there is nothing in her that you can complain about.
This specific recipe is one of the easiest bar recipes you will ever find. Once when I was preparing it at 5 in the morning, I was just wondering how can something be so easy. That is when I realised that something was wrong. The dough was supposed to be brown, not white. I panicked. How could my fail-proof recipe fail? And that is when I realised, I was so sleepy, I had forgotten to add the brown sugar. Hehehe. A quick sprinkle of sugar and the bars came out as good as they always do. This is one of those recipes that you can prepare when you are having a large group of friends coming over without prior notice. Or if you want to gift your loved ones something special and yet easy. Or if you want to treat yourself some cute bars without sharing with anyone. Yup! Just for you ;)
Take a look at Pioneer Woman's post for step by step photos.
Cleta Bailey's Toffee Squares:
Makes 24 bars(might vary depending on size of bars)
2 sticks/ 1 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips(use milk chocolate if you like your bar overly sweet)
3/4 cup of your favorite nuts, chopped(optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degree Fahrenheit.
- Cream butter and sugar till fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla. Beat till combined.
- Add flour and mix well.
- Spread the dough on a 9x13 inch cookie sheet. using an offset spatula.
- Bake for 15 minutes or till golden brown.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips on the cookie layer and return to oven for 1 minute.
- Spread the melted chocolate using an offset spatula.
- Sprinkle nuts and cut into squares.
- If possible, let them rest overnight. It tastes a lot better the next day. Though it is almost impossible..