Sunday, November 7, 2010

Eggless chocolate mousse-A sweet punch



This month's sweet punch challenge was a little hatke(different) from the usual ones. This month, we were given 3 recipes: tomato souffle, eggless chocolate mousse and a cholate mousse and asked to prepare any one of them. I prepared the eggless chocolate mousse. Not that I have a problem with raw eggs in my mousse, I just went for the eggless version since the recipe was from Nigella Lawson, a famous celebrity chef whom I have been following lately.
It was super easy, just melting the ingredients, folding in cream and refrigerating it. But as I always say, I can ruin even the best of the world's recipes. And that is exactly what I did. For starters, I burnt my chocolate. And then my cream refused to become creamy and looked more like milk. At the end, I was left with a chocolate sauce that tasted scrumplicious, but was nowhere close to a mousse. Without any hope left, I poured the "sauce" into induvidual serving bowls and refrigerated them. What I had after one hour was a dense, rich chocolate pudding close enough to be called a mousse.The next day, it tasted even better.

These are the things I am going to remember the next time I prepare this:
When melting, see to it that the marshmallows are placed in the bottom of the saucepan and the chocolate is at the top since marshmallows take the longest time to melt and since chocolate is sensitive to heat. Keep an eye on the chocolate while it is melting and don't go off to wash the dishes like I did. Use good-quality cream and not any old tin of cream lying in the pantry. Watch Nigella's videohere for more details. Mohammed enjoyed his mousse with Parle- G biscuits

Eggless Instant Chocolate Mousse:

Recipe Souce :Nigella Lawson via Ria's Collection
Serves: 7

Ingredients:
Mini marshamallows - 150 g (you can use regular marshmallows too)
Butter-50 g, softened
Chocolate- 250 g (I used a mix semi-sweet ), chopped into small pieces
Hot water-60 ml
Cream-284 ml
Vanilla extract- 1 tsp
Method:
In a heavy-bottom saucepan, melt the marshmallows,butter,chocolate and water together, stirring every now and then.
Meanwhile, whip the cream with vanilla until thick.
Fold it into the cooling chocolate mixture until you have a smooth mixture. ( I let the chocolate cool very well for the fear that the cream might melt.)
Pour into individual ramekins and let it set in the fridge for about 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment